Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Birthday Thoughts

Fifteen years old. How is that even possible? Wasn't it just yesterday that I was meeting this 15 month old baby girl in the Buffalo airport? I think what throws me off even more is that she is almost the age I was when we met. And that seems like it was yesterday.


It's true, my baby girl is growing up and turned 15 years old yesterday. I am so thankful for this gorgeous little sister of mine. She is smart and funny and my favorite thing of all, is her love for people. She never wants anyone to feel left out and will go out of her way to befriend the kids who may not have many friends. I have learned and continue to learn a lot from this girl.


As always, around this time of year, I can't help but think about a very special woman on the other side of the world. The woman who gave birth to my sweet Kiah. Does she think about her? Does she have any idea how loved and cherished she is? How she is confident 15 year old instead of that tiny, sick baby who arrived at the orphanage at just a few weeks of age? My position at Dillon International changed a few months ago and one of my new roles is to direct our search program. I work mainly with Korea adoptees and a few Haiti. It has made me think even more about Kiah's birth mother and how much I respect this incredible woman. I just wish I could tell her how well Kiah is doing and how thankful we are to her because she gave us such a precious gift, one that I can't imagine my life without.

Happy Birthday, Kiah. I am so thankful to be able to call you sister.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...