Friday, March 13, 2015

One Moment

March? How are we through the second week of March already? Time flies and before I know it, I am way behind on this little blog of mine. The thing is, it's not that there isn't a lot to write about, there is almost too much. Which is why every time I have sat down to try and write something these last few weeks, I can't up with anything to say. 

I have lived in Tulsa for over 3 months now. I still can't believe it's been that long but yet it feels like it's been forever. One thing I have learned from moving around the last few years is that places do eventually start to feel like home. Maybe not fully and maybe they never will, but starting to feel at home is a huge step. 

I knew God was calling me to Tulsa. I had been praying for months for the right job to open up in the place where the Lord wanted me. And even though I never in a million years would have thought Tulsa (after all, I had to look up on  map exactly where Oklahoma was when I was in the interview process!), once I was offered that job, it just felt right. Yes, it was scary and terrifying, but then again I had moved to China by myself for several years so surely I could move to Tulsa. 

But December 6, 2014 was one of the scariest days of my life. That was the day that my Mom, Dad, and sister drove away, back to New York. And they left me here. Here in this new city, new state, new apartment. There was hardly anything that wasn't new in my life. And it was beyond overwhelming. China was hard, but friends, my Tulsa move has been so much harder. Maybe because it feels more permanent. I don't know what it is, but it was scary and I felt so alone.

But God did something huge those first few days. That very next day, I was shown around Tulsa by two friends of a friend. They didn't even know me but they took time out of their day to show a complete stranger around the city. And that evening, a sweet adoptive family who I have been corresponding through on Facebook for years "just happened" to be driving through Tulsa where they would be staying for the night, could they stop and say hello? 
Absolutely.
And Shelley told me something that has stuck with me every day for the last 3 months of living here. 
"Take one day, one moment at a time."
Not to look at the huge, big picture that is not even mine to see, but each moment.
And that is what I have been doing. 
Taking one moment and one step at a time.
And God has done such incredible things in the last few months.

I have found a great Church with awesome people in it. I have joined an incredible small group and made some wonderful friendships. I have a job that is challenging but I work with people who are encouraging and remind me that I am doing great and to not be so hard on myself. I have an incredibly cute apartment (if I do say so myself) that I love coming home too. And God has been revealing Himself to me in new and exciting ways.

And so I continue to take one moment at a time. I would ask for some extra prayer. The director of our South Korea program is currently on maternity leave for the next few months and I am taking over a lot of her responsibilities. All that to say my workload has gotten much larger in the last few weeks. I love it and I have learned so much while working with families through the Korean adoption program, but still have so much to learn and it's very easy to become overwhelmed. My daily prayer will continue to take one moment and one day at a time because I can't handle much more than that.

A verse that has continued to be put in my path today is from Psalm 27, verse 4:

"Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He will strengthen your heart. Wait on the Lord."


1 comment:

  1. You are fortunate to be in a job that you not only love but does such tangible good. I know that you must miss your family and friends back home, but it sounds as though things are going well for you, and I'm glad. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...