Wednesday, November 26, 2014

{Adoption Awareness Month} ENCOURAGE


Encouragement is so very important. I didn't realize how much so until I was overseas, on the other side of the world, by myself, loving on sweet orphans. You have no idea what it meant to receive letters, packages, and emails of encouragement from friends. They were loving me and supporting me from far away. Being overseas can be very lonely and I can't tell you the number of times I would receive an email, letter, or package from someone just letting me know that they were thinking of me, and they would usually arrive just when I needed them most!

Do you know someone who is living overseas? Send them a quick email to let them know that you are praying for them and thinking of them!

Send them a package! I love, love, LOVED receiving packages from friends back home. Ask them what they would like in it. There may be some candy, baking supplies, candles, etc. that they are missing from home and would love to receive. I know one of my favorite care package items were candles. Especially around the holidays when you are missing home! Shipping overseas can be expensive, so go in with someone else to bring a little "taste of home" to friends overseas.

Send letters! Just a little note of encouragement can go a long way. Emails are great but there is just something extra special about receiving a hand written note. And let's be honest, receiving mail is just so much fun!

Do you know a family who is adopting? Adoption is hard, friends. Really hard. Not just financially but emotionally and even physically. Again, send them a note, email, or text to let them know you are thinking of them.

Do they live nearby? Make a dinner (it is especially nice when it is something that can be frozen in case they have other meals already planned or given!) and drop it off. There is such an important period of attachment between the child and new family so don't stay, but leaving a dinner for them would be greatly appreciated.

Offer to watch other children they have so that the parents can spend lots of time bonding with their new child.

Offer to shop for groceries or other things like diaper and formula they may need.

I have a lot of photographer friends out there. Offer to take pictures for free for a new adopted child's family. Maybe capture some moments at the airport when they arrive home with their new child or a few months later, offer to take some family pictures!

Friends, there are so many ways we can bless families who are in the adoption process. Let's be a blessing to them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...