Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 12 of Thankfulness: Sports

I am thankful for sports.

I grew up in a “sports loving” family. With five brothers, it was inevitable I guess. I have probably watched more ESPN than any other channel on TV. I also grew up going to numerous sporting events. Baseball games, swim meets, and football games. Recently we have added softball to the mix since Kiah decided to play.

Sports have always been a part of my life. Since my Dad is a swim coach, I grew up going to swim meets since a very young age (I believe I was only a few weeks old at my first swim meet). I have probably been to more baseball games that I could even try to keep track of. I always thought it would be fun to keep track of them since sometimes we would have 2 or 3 games in a night, but we didn't.

Maybe when I was younger, I would complain about going, but now, I miss it. I miss going to baseball games and swim meets. Sitting out at a football game, bundled up, on a fall evening. It’s a huge part of my life. This past spring when I was home, I was able to watch Asa and Thad play college baseball, Tage play high school baseball, and Kiah play softball. When I am home this next month, I’ll be able to watch Tage swim. I can’t wait!

No, sports are not everything, but they can teach you so much. I swam competitively for 15 years, including in college. Swimming was such a huge part of my life. It taught me to set goals and reach for them. It taught me time management, determination, how to really work hard, and how incredible it feels when you reach those goals. Swimming taught me about a job well done. Swimming also helped me to pay for college, which was a huge blessing. Without my scholarship, I probably would not be able to be in China today.


Swimming was hard, no doubt about that. There were days that I wanted to give up and quite, but I kept at it and the Lord taught me so much. He has taught me so much through sports, for which I am truly thankful. 
Yes, I am thankful for sports and the huge part they have played in my life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...