Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Project

What do you do when you are in a new city where you don't know many people? 
You find a project to keep you busy! 
It's not that I don't want to make friends, I do. But in all honesty it has been a very difficult adjustment and there is only so many "new things" that a person can handle at one time. So for the past month, I have been focusing on my job, getting my apartment settled and looking like home (which is where the below project comes in), and finding a Church home. 

How are those adjustments going? The job is coming. Finally this past week I felt like I was really starting to "get it." Yes, I am familiar with adoption but this is a whole other side to it that I haven't worked with before. Also, China is the program I know the most about, but we work with not only China, but also Colombia, India, Vietnam, Haiti, Korea, and Hong Kong! Since I am working with all of these country programs, I need to learn the process for each of them. Although some things are the same with all of them, there are many things that are very different. All that to say, yes, my job is going well and I am feeling more comfortable and confident but I still have a lot to learn.

My apartment is coming along. It is starting to feel more and more like home which I am very thankful for. Even though I have been thinking of decorating ideas for years for the day that I had my first apartment, it is very overwhelming when it's time to actually decorate it! I have done lots of "window shopping," and have made a few purchases. Since I'm working off of a budget, it is taking me a little longer to buy everything I would like to, but it's coming! 

Lately, I have decided to get crafty. I learned how to sew years ago with my Grandma. It was something that my Mom said I had to learn, that every young woman should know. I am so thankful that I do know how because I know so many women my age who have no idea how to sew! My grandparents bought me my own sewing machine for my college graduation and it has been stored for the last almost 7 (!) years. Last weekend I pulled it out and attempted to sew curtains. When I de-decorated my apartment after Christmas and took off my Christmas table cloth, I realized I didn't have another one to replace it! Off to the fabric store I went to make a new one.




The finished project, I think it turned out pretty well!


I had bought a few cork boards last week and was originally going to put them in my bedroom, but changed my mind and thought they would look cute in my dining room with fabric covering them. I made them to match my tablecloth and my curtains (my curtains are the blue color).



I decided I really like this fabric. Therefore, I have decided to make pillow covers for the pillows on my couch. 

After all, it all has to match, doesn't it? Okay maybe not, but I want it too. And it's keeping me busy and really helping me when my emotions and thoughts are all over the place. 

The last thing on the list of things I have been focusing on is finding a Church. I have visited four different Church's and was starting to get really frustrated. Well this morning I went back to the very first Church I visited here and gave it another chance.
And?
I think I may have found my new home Church.

Happy Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...