Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day Thoughts

"We love because He first loved us."
I John 4:19

Valentine's Day. Also lovingly referred to as "Single's Awareness Day." The day of love. The day of spending time with that special someone in your life. Or, for those of us who don't have a special someone, a day to feel sorry for ourselves. Or is it? Why does it have to be like that? 


I will admit, I used to be one of those girls. The one who was all depressed when February 14th would come and go. "Where was my special someone and why in the world was he taking so long to find me?" I would be lying if I said that those thoughts don't still cross my mind every once in a while. But I was not going to let it ruin my Valentine's Day or where the Lord has be today. This is a day that is about love. But it doesn't just have to be the romantic kind. I think about the love I have for other people and for me especially, the love I have for the precious children in my life at this moment. I also think about the love Christ has for me and for you.

"But God demonstrated His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8


Now that, my friends, is love. So why, as a single female, do I need to get all sad and depressed on February 14th? There is absolutely no need! The God of the universe loves me and I am cherished by Him. What more could I ask for? I am loved so much by Him that I can't even comprehend it.

"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filed to the measure of all the fullness of God."
Ephesians 3:16-19


This is a day about love. Spending time with those you love. And remembering the God who made you, knows you, loves you, and has such an incredible plan for your life and mine. It's not a day of sadness, but one of joy.

"Whoever does not love does not know God because God is love."
I John 4:8


So today I encourage you to love, laugh, and eat a cookie or two. This a day to love those incredible people around us who the Lord has placed in our path for a purpose.


My heart breaks for young girls and women (and men as I don't want to stereotype!) who struggle with self-worth and insecurity. We all struggle with this, me included. But the Lord has taught me so much in the last few years about who He has created me to be and how He doesn't make mistakes. He has a plan and has a purpose for each of our lives. No, it may not be falling into place exactly how I pictured it, but I do know that when God says "no" or "not now" to one thing, it's because He has an even greater plan.

I first heard this song on Veggie Tales (funny, right?) and it stuck with me. This Valentine's Day, remember you are loved and cherished. Love those that the Lord has placed in your path and love them with everything you have. Oh yeah, and eat some cookies or chocolate or both!



"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to proper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...