Saturday, January 4, 2014

Sunday Snapshot: Shamian Island

Yesterday I finally made it to an area that I have been wanting to go since I moved to China almost 2 years ago. Shamian Island. This is an area where any US family adopting from China would stay at the famous (in the Chinese adoption world at least) White Swan Hotel. The main reason families would stay at this hotel was first of all because it was really nice and a luxury in China and second, because it was right next to the US Consulate where the adoptive child would receive their visa to enter to US. 

The US Consulate has moved and no longer located here and the White Swan is being renovated and so families no longer stay in this area for the Guangzhou portion of their trip. However, I have still been wanting to go. I have heard about this area for years from my parents and the adoptive online community. It's about time I made it there!

It is so beautiful and peaceful. I'll definitely be going back sometime. 


We ate lunch at "Lucy's" which is a western restaurant near the White Swan. I've read a lot about this restaurant from adoptive families and it didn't disappoint! After 2 weeks of Chinese food, I think Thad was ready for a double cheeseburger. 


The dirty beautiful Pearl River.


The Pear River.


It was just a tad smoggy yesterday (notice the sarcasm)... typical Guangzhou or China for that matter.


I'm going to miss this boy when he leaves me on Wednesday. It's been so fun having him here!


Of course I had to get a picture next to the Pear River. Surprisingly, I wasn't even wearing pearls!


The White Swan Hotel. Still has a ways to go before it'll open again.


I just love the buildings.








Figured out that this where Kiah had her "medical physical" before she could enter the US. I put it it in quotations because in order to check her hearing, they shook a rattle to see if she would turn her head. Yes, very thorough.


His serious face. Maybe he's tired of me taking his picture? He'll thank me one day when he has them to look back on.



Probably the coolest Starbucks I've seen. Definitely planning on coming back and hanging out here for an afternoon.


Oh I'm so glad I was finally able to make it to Shamian Island. It was even more special that I got to experience it with Thaddeus!




3 comments:

  1. Aw...that takes me back a few years. We met and adopted Lia in 2010 and Shamin Island and the White Swan was our home away from home for two blessed weeks. We were so lucky to have stayed there and it made our bonding time so nice. I am so said to see that the White Swan is still not open. It is so beautiful and we would start each day (after the White Swan buffet) at Starbucks.
    Thanks for posting such beautiful pics of "our" island!!!
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does it take to get to there from where you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well driving straight it would probably only be 1 1/2 to 2 hours but I have to take a bus and a bus and a subway so total probably 2 1/2 hours.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...