Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Typhoon

Well I survived my first typhoon. And I didn’t even know that it was a typhoon!

For those of you wondering what the difference is between a typhoon and a hurricane, I guess it’s the direction of the spin.

Last night we started getting rain… and it kept raining…. and raining…

…and raining.

We had a steady rain all evening. It was so wonderful and I left both doors open in the apartment since there was such a nice breeze blowing through.

Refreshing after the almost 100 degree weather we’ve been having lately!

At about 1:30 a.m. this morning, I was awoken by pelting rain on my window. I had never heard rain like this before. After a while, I drifted back to sleep….

until about 3:30 a.m. when I was again awoken by rain and wind. I got up and looked out the window.

The trees were blowing so hard.. it was crazy!

I took a few minutes to pray for those who live in nearby Chinese villages. Mudslides are a major problem for them and with all the rain we were having, I knew it would be a problem.

When I woke up to head over to the foster home, once again… you guessed it!

RAIN!

I later learned that we had actually had a typhoon hit.

Even though the worst is over, we will continue to have rains over the next few days.

I just hope that it lets up by Friday when I leave for Hong Kong. I don’t want to be wandering around Hong Kong in the rain! Although then I suppose it wont be QUITE so hot…

I love a steady rain. Yes, it gets old after a while, but it’s just so refreshing.

Reminds me of Jesus and His love for us.

When I think of rain… I think of rest. Of sitting on my balcony, drinking tea, reading, and relaxing in His presence:

“In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength.”

Isaiah 30:15

As I was walking, I couldn’t help but pray for those affected by the storm.

Not only here, but also in Beijing. Not sure if you all heard, but there were terrible floods there and as many as 37 people have been killed.

It’s just devastating.

Bridges have collapsed. Thousands of people have been affected. The worst storm in decades.


Please keep them in your thoughts tonight.

As for me? A typhoon seems like the perfect opportunity to play in the rain. : )

Anneli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...