Thursday, April 19, 2012

Life in China

I’m sure you much prefer to read posts and see pictures of my adorable children, but in case you were curious as to what living in China is all about, I feel like I should throw in a weekly post about that!

One thing is for sure… I am not going to starve while I’m here. Whew! I know, I was worried too. ; ) I must say that grocery shopping when I first arrived was VERY overwhelming. The last time I was in China in 2010, I lived with 5 other girls (no, that is not a misprint) and we would often cook together or go out to eat. Also there was a cafeteria at the foster home since they also have an  English language school. However, that is NOT the case here. I have to actually cook. And I might add that I’m actually enjoying it!

One of my favorite things about China is all the fresh fruits and vegetables. We have a “fresh market” about a 10 minute walk away from my apartment, and I already have a “vegetable lady” and “fruit man,” who I always go to in order to buy my tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and then of course my bananas, apples, and mangos. They don’t speak English (although the fruit man knows a little) and I don’t speak Chinese. Makes for a good time. They just whip out their calculators to tell me how much I owe and I trust that they are not taking advantage of me! Then we smile at each other, I tell them “thank you” in Chinese and I go on my merry way.

Here is my latest concoction…. what do you get when you cross….

tomatoes…

 

 

cilantro….

 

 

…and onions??

 

 

Why SALSA of course!

(and me crying due to cutting all those onions!)

Just add some salt, pepper, and garlic, and I  am all set to go! And in case you were wondering, yes, I can get tortilla chips here. Cost me about $4 USD, but hey, sometimes you have to splurge a little to get those comforts of home. : )

Anneli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...