Sunday, February 13, 2011

How Hard It Is to Forgive…

“While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’ Then he fell on his knees and cried out ‘Lord, do not hold this sin against them.’ When he had said this, he fell sleep.”

Acts 6:59-60       

I am once again reading through the New Testament. I am also reading through a chronological Bible there, but am also reading through the New as well. The other day (this is the first time I’ve had time to blog) I was reading in Acts about where Stephen is being stoned. As I was reading, the above verse stood out to me. I kept reading the following chapter but my mind kept going back to these couple verses. Not necessarily the part about Stephen asking Jesus to receive his spirit, but about him asking God to forgive these people and not hold this act against. How many times do I hold grudges against people or refused to forgive them for such silly things!!! And I’m not getting stoned! Not to pick on girls, but I think as females it is so much easier for us to hold grudges against one another. But Stephen was being killed by this people and rather than holding that against them he says “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” WHAT?!?! I don’t know if I would be able to do that. Through all the pain and suffering, he wanted God to forgive these people. It reminds me of where Jesus is on the cross and says the same thing. “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” Wow. Really makes me look at my life and the silly little things I hold against people. God calls us to forgive people and to move on. This is something I need to do more of.

 

Anneli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...