Saturday, January 18, 2014

I Am the "Lucky One"

"They are so lucky to have you"

"She is so lucky that you adopted her."

First of all, I have never liked the term lucky. Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it which is why I prefer the term blessed.


Now that we got that out of the way, these are two statements that just "get to me." I know people mean well but I guess you really don't "get it" until you live it. In just a few months, we will be celebrating 12 years of Kiah being a part of our family. In all honesty, it's hard for me to remember what life was like before she was part of our family. She was the missing piece, the sister I dreamed about and prayed for for years. She has brought so much joy to our family and none of us, can imagine life without her. "She is so lucky that you adopted her." That is a statement we have heard probably hundreds of times over the past 12 years but no, that is not it at all. She is not the "blessed one," we are. She has brought us so much joy and happiness that it almost seems unfair. We are the ones who won, hands down, in this situation. 


Then there is the one I receive quite often now, how lucky my kids are to have me. Once again, that is totally backwards. They aren't lucky at all. Yes, I can make them laugh with my silly face and antics but the truth is, they have blessed me way more than I have blessed them. They have taught me about the heart of the Father. The Father who has not forgotten a little orphan child. A Father who loves and cares and cherishes. A Father who will never leave or forsake us. They have taught me about joy, laughter, and trust. They have taught me about healing and miracles. They are not the lucky ones, not at all. It is me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...