Sunday, February 21, 2010

Great Wall of China

I can officially come home now because I've been to the Great Wall of China which is really the only thing that I really wanted to see while I was here. Okay, so that's not completely true. I'm glad that I still have another almost 3 months here to do some more "exploring" around Beijing and China. However, there really is no way to describe the great wall other than AMAZING. I am working on uploading my pictures and video now, but honestly, pictures don't do it justice. I tried my best to caputure what we were seeing but I just don't think it's possible. Therefore I came to the conclusion that you all just have to come to China and see it for yourselves.
 
We were not planning on going to the great wall until probably sometime in March before Brittany Scruggs left. Unfortinately, her grandpa is not doing well at all and so she is leaving on Tuesday moring. We then decided that she could not come all the way to Beijing and NOT see the great wall so we made a quick decision to go today rather than wait so that she was able to go. So Brittany, BB and I took on the challenge. Our driver picked us up at 7 a.m. this morning for our 2 hour car ride to the great wall. We arrived a little after 9. The mountains here are pretty spectacular. It's funny because where we live it is completely flat, not a mountain in sight. But once you get out of the city, there are so many. Just beautiful. We eventually found where we brought tickets and then opted for the "walk" route rather than the "ride" route. All I can say is that I have never gone up so many stairs in my entire life. It was crazy. And me being somewhat in shape was still tired. I even thanked my coach on my way up for all those stairs he made me do in college. : ) I was doing a lot better than my roomates. After a while, we finally made it to the wall.
 
We picked the pefect day to go. There was absolutely no one there. The 3 of us walked around, could stop and take pictures and just take our time without worrying about having random other people in our pictures. The weather was beautuful and PERFECT. We took of our winter coats halfway up the stairs and were very comfortable. I think it got to the mid 50's today which was great because you really get quite a workout so we would not have wanted it any warmer.
 
I really wish I could put into words just how beautiful it was. I knew that it was going to cool but this far exceeded my expectations. I'm so glad that I was able to experience it. I just can't imagine looking at those mountains and valley's and just not believe.
 
I'm working on uploading my pictures now and also took a video that I put together. I know how you all love my videos! : ) Like I said, pictures don't really show how awesome it is but they do a pretty good job. You all just have to come and see it for yourselves that's all I can say!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you saw the Great Wall. It is truly an awesome experience :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...