Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Many differences

So there are definately some things that I will not take advantage of when I'm back in the states.
 
1.) Grocery shopping. So I haven't officially done much with it yet mainly because I'm just "checking it out" and what is available. Things that we think of being easy to find such as butter is not true in China. Our local grocery store does not have butter. We have to go to a "western style" grocery store in Beijing. I did find pringles today but they were a lot more expensive than normal. I did not by them but it was nice that the option is there!
 
2.) Understanding everyone. This is one of the things that has been the most frustrating. It's hard to order food when you can't speak the language and all you can do is point. Yesterday in the dining hall I ordered tofu by accident when I thought it was chicken. It's rather frustrating but I'm starting to get more used to it.
 
3.) Being able to flush toilet paper. Ok, so this may be too much info but the water pressure is not strong enough to flush paper here so we have to throw it away.... yeah kind of gross.
 
4.) Drinking tap water. I know there's those of you who wouldn't "do such a thing" but I LOVE my tap water at home. So.... having to drink bottled water all the time, including brushing my teath, get's a little frustrating from time to time. Again, I'm getting the hang of it though.
 
I know there are many more differences but that is all I can think of at the moment. Yep, it's different alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...